SNMP how to? check_snmp plugin

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Oct 16 23:50:01 CEST 2002

Don't define check_snmp in hosts.cfg, use the out-of-the-box
check-host-alive, unless the host you're trying to monitor doesn't permit
ICMP (ping) traffic through.  Remember that hosts.cfg is for defining the
hosts you want to monitor, and services.cfg is for defining the services you
want to monitor.  You don't define a service in hosts.cfg.  (As a general
rule, but if you're not trying to work around firewall rules, this won't be
an issue for you.)

Next, create the appropriate entry in services.cfg for this host.  The
check_command line should look something like:

  check_command    check_snmp!ifOperStatus.1

The details of configuring this entry are left as an exercise to the reader.
;)

jc