Service Dependencies "wildcarding" error ?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Oct 16 17:26:26 CEST 2002

Paulo, that looks like an excellent scenario to streamline!

At some point I'll be trying my hand at service dependencies.  Here's the
scenario I hope to streamline:

- host1 is running NRPE
     - nrpe.cfg has several tests configured
- most other hosts will be similarly configured with NRPE
- some hosts will be running a superset of the NRPE definitions

Risk in this scenario:  if the NRPE daemon is down and Nagios starts
checking those services, naturally it will fail for each and every NRPE
service test defined.

Goal:  If NRPE is down, be notified that NRPE is down.  Silence on all the
NRPE tests.

Actually, I wouldn't mind some input on one aspect of setting this up.  I'm
torn between making one of the NRPE tests the service depended on by the
other NRPE tests (for a given host), versus just using check_tcp to verify
that the NRPE daemon is up and listening.  Thoughts anyone?

jc