More Infos: CGI - 500 - Premature end of script headers

Jon Lyons jlyons30 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 23:09:13 CEST 2002

Have you tried using the sample config files? I had this type of error before and it was due to a typo in the config files(nagios doesn't seem to check very well), if you haven't had nagios up and running for the first time I'd start from scratch and use the sample files(ie, hosts.cgf-sample), without any changes to verify the cfgs are good. Just change the
use_authentication=1  and verify all your paths/permissions.
 Larchenk <info at lars-schenk.de> wrote:Dear group,

I've installed nagios 1.0b6 on a different linux box from the scratch
and there is exaclty the same problem: nagios runs and allerts well -
but all the CGIs (webinterface) result in 500 error status (Premature
end of script headers).

I've tested for example "tac.cgi" from the shell:

#export REQUEST_METHOD=GET
#./tac.cgi > tac.html

this results in

Cache-Control: no-store
Pragma: no-cache
Refresh: 90
Last-Modified: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:40:54 GMT
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

[...] normal HTML CODE [...]

So I can't see a problem here - there seem's to be not Debug Output like
a trobleshoter from the FAQ says - but what is the problem?

I've used default values during install - so my cgi.cfg looks like this
---
main_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
physical_html_path=/usr/local/nagios/share
url_html_path=/nagios
show_context_help=0
#use_authentication=1 # I've tried both
use_authentication=0
default_statusmap_layout=5
default_statuswrl_layout=4
ping_syntax=/bin/ping -n -U -c 5 $HOSTADDRESS$
refresh_rate=90
---

I've read documentation and FAQ but can't fix the problem.
I've googled and found an article
http://groups.google.de/groups?q=Premature+end+of+script+Headers+Nagios&
hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=aog0mq%2414qa%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.e
du.tw&rnum=1
that reports problems with mod_php 4.2.3.

I've mod_php 4.2.3 installed on one box - the other has an older version
- but I've the same problem on both.

Dear group - you're my last chance - please help...

Regards
Lars Schenk

ICQ: 64011254
MSN: schenk at sharedirect.com