Nagios is badly documented :(

Jon Lyons jlyons30 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 18:11:30 CEST 2002

Sounds like you just volunteered.... :) The squeaky wheel get the oil!  I think a simple 2-3 host example could clear things up nicely for new users. Once you add a few hosts you begin to see how the config files interelate.

 doug.moore at ibill.com wrote:yes, Nagios is poorly documented the common user. There needs to be a
"paint-by-numbers" section on how to add services to nagios for one. How
about a 1-2-3 to getting users proper authentication via the cgi.cfg file?
How about a 1-2-3 on how to setup nagios for Service Check Scheduling, state
types and time periods.

As it stands now, a newbie has to "sift" through pages and pages of
documentation and config files to learn this. Trial and error... mostly
error and trial.

There is still no documentation of the relationship of the various cfg
files. I for one still don't 100% understand how all these thing tie
together.

Nagios does have adequate install documentation but after that if falls
very short. I realize that docs are the last thing anyone wants to do, but
for a product as complicated as this, it really is going to have to produce
them to survive in the long term. People learn by example, nagios is
lacking severely in the example area for configuring major areas of the
program.

No, sorry the examples in the .cfg files don't count. Why? again, you don't
know the dependencies between the cfg files. Yep, having a contact-group of
novell-admins doesn't do much when it isn't documented where it appears and
what it all effects.

Not bashing the product, but just pointing out what every review of nagios
states, Nagios has terrible documentation.