Performanceproblems switching to faster server

Marcus Hildenbrand marcus.hildenbrand at sap.com
Tue Oct 15 12:43:26 CEST 2002

Our current produktive Nagios installation runs on a 4x700 MHz server
with Suse Linux. We are doing an active monitoring of > 1.100 servers
with > 5.500 services. Because of the known problems with slow CGI's on
large configurations we decided to test our Nagios installation on a
2x2.4 GHz Suse Linux server hoping to get the CGI's faster. But we saw
the opposite. For example the command "time <path_to_nagios>/bin/nagios
-v <main_config_file>" gives the following response:

4x700 MHz server:
..
..
Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check

real    0m1.866s
user    0m1.820s
sys     0m0.050s

2x2.4 GHz server:
..
..
Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check

real    0m7.428s
user    0m7.410s
sys     0m0.020s

Has anyone an idea why this is more than 3 times slower on the faster
box? This problem also exists for the CGI's.

Thanks Marcus