config file

doug.moore at ibill.com doug.moore at ibill.com
Mon Oct 14 23:22:20 CEST 2002

The final part of the install process creates samples for all the .cfg files
located in /usr/local/nagios/etc

did you run
make all
make install
make install-init
make install-config

The "install-config" will make sample config files for all the .cfg files
you need. Now, understanding how each are inter-related is another story!!!
:)

you need more than just the nagios.cfg file to get nagios to work. Almost
every flipping .cfg file in the nagios etc directory is dependent on each
other.

Welcome to nagios, the *worst* documented network management program out
there! :)

Once you get past the install docs (which are ok), you have to rely on this
list for the rest. There is no "here is how you add a device, follow the
these steps... 1, 2, 3, 4 docs.

Forget about finding a document on how each file in etc is dependent on each
other and what step-by-step changes to make when adding
devices/commands/services/hosts, etc.. It doesn't exist as far as I know.

The guys on this list are great for support and answering questions!

My advice, get nagios working with ONE device and service (ping is easy) and
expand out from there.  That only took me around 20 hrs!!