Am I missing some docs?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Oct 11 21:54:58 CEST 2002

Documenting some things becomes a bit of a slippery slope.  That is, where
do you draw the line?  SNMP is itself a vast subject, and in the context of
Nagios, requires things like net-snmp, among others.

Regarding using "nagios" as a member of "hostgroups":  Do you have a host
defined called "nagios"?  I know I don't.  And I'm certainly not using any
hostgroup called "hostgroup".  That would be about as helpful as naming a
computer "computer".  :P  I refer all to RFC1178:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1178.html

A hostgroup should have a logical name, like "dev-unix" or "prod-nt".  Just
some way of pigeonholing a group of similar systems.  A member of that group
should be referred to by the hostname you defined for it in hosts.cfg.  You
don't add an "SNMP device", per se; you define a service in services.cfg
which references the host (defined in hosts.cfg) and a token (I'm not sure
what Ethan prefers to call it) in checkcommands.cfg, which in turn
references that actual command/binary/script on the local disk.  (If you
happen to be using NRPE, then that command would be check_nrpe, which in
turn specifies a client host and another token/label in the remote host's
nrpe.cfg, which in turn executes a command, with arguments.)

Sound confusing?  It takes a little getting used to, but hang in there, as
it will eventually make sense.

jc