Check_Time plugin and BST

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Oct 11 17:44:49 CEST 2002

Personally I'm not sure I'd bother with a check.  Instead, I'd specify an
odd number of NTP servers at the next stratum above me.  ntpdate on boot,
kick off ntpd, and forget about it.

If you ponder the problem, what are you checking against?  If the timeserver
you're checking against is considered to be more accurate than the one that
your NTP client is using, then why not specify that server?  Why try to be
smarter than the NTP protocol itself?  Sounds like an exercise at trying to
be too smart by half.

It just seems to me to be a non-problem, or at least not one that can be
easily resolved, short of joining the ISC and helping them work on the next
version of NTP.  ;)

If time is truly critical, there are various hardware solutions which can be
purchased which don't rely on an NTP server 'out there' on the net.

Food for thought.

jc