Best question ever asked on this list to date! (or maybe it's already been asked too many times :P)

Chris Losch Chris.Losch at newham.gov.uk
Fri Oct 11 15:43:21 CEST 2002

Pronouncing Nagios, I remember seeing a post which says something about the
FAQ's which state 'say it how you want'

As for WINS -

Two things you could do,

Check port 42 using check_tcp for connections - which will tell you if the
service is up - but not necessarily if it is working as expected,

or

use check_snmp and OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.2.x for various statistics. (look
at http://www.mibcentral.com/ for a full listing of things you can get out
of it (great site - thanks to whoever pointed it out on this mailing-list))

I have yet to work out a way of testing the actual response received (I am
not looking to write my own plugins at this time).