Monitoring Microsoft SQL servers and/or Sybase

David Rippel RippelD at hillsboroughcounty.org
Thu Oct 10 17:08:40 CEST 2002

Greetings -

I'd like a way to monitor MS SQL beyond checking for port 1433/TCP. I'm aware that this issue has come up before in other mailing lists and someone mentioned having a check for this. According to the thread it appeared to be pending addition to the Netsaint contrib directory - but I can't find it in netsaint or nagios' plugins contrib. Does anyone still have this?

I've found that Mon has a sybase.monitor - has anyone hacked this to work with MS SQL/Nagios?

I'm sure that FreeTDS and/or DBD::Sybase could be used in order to create a custom check. I have FreeTDS working with SQL server, and I am able to execute commands with sqsh.. I suppose a shell script could be used in conjunction with sqsh to make a custom check...

Unfortunately, my time is very limited and I cannot come up with an efficient way to do this on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

David Rippel
Internet Administrator