No pipe in external commands

Frank Werner develop at WernerOnline.de
Wed Oct 9 18:46:05 CEST 2002

Hello,

I,ve got problems in notifying me per email.

I use a sendEmail (a perl script) to send emails from console. It works great.

With nagios it works only when I use the following in misccommands.cfg:
---
define command{
	command_name	notify-by-email
	command_line	sendEmail -m "row1\nrow2\n" -t frank -f Nagios
	}
---
This code sends me an email, but the problem is that the \n is not be
substituted.

This code should be work, but nothing is happend. No mail, no errors.
---
define command{
	command_name	notify-by-email
	command_line	printf "%b" "row1\nrow2\n" | sendEmail -t frank -f Nagios
	}
---
The code: 'printf "%b" "row1\nrow2\n" | sendEmail -t frank -f Nagios' direct
at the console hacked works great: ist sends me an email with two rows in the
body.

So my concluseion is that the problem has to do with the pipe from printf to
sendEmail started from nagios.

I have enabled the --DEBUG0..5 in the configure script of nagios, and I get a
lot of debugging hints, but this did not solve my problem.

Maybe someone out there, who has the same problem and can point me to the
right direction.

Thanks for any help.

Frank