check_imap and check_ssh

JIHUA ZHONG jzhong at gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 9 18:33:14 CEST 2002

Hi All:

I am new to nagios and plugin( all lateste version). but I get them
installed and configured on  RedHat 7.2.
I did add the following services in the file:
"NAGIOS_HOME"/etc/services.cfg (NAGIOS_HOME="usr/local/nagios")

services: check_ping, check_smtp, check_http, check_ftp, check_pop

and then I did verify the configuration and start up the nagios service.
everything is great.

the problem comes from that: I tried to add other services such as
check_imap, chech_ssh in the services.cfg.

# imap service on unix5
define service{
#Name of service template to use
 use				generic-service
 host_name			unix5
 service_description		IMAP
 is_volatile			0
 check_period			24x7
 max_check_attempts		3
 normal_check_interval		3
 retry_check_interval		1
 contact_groups			unix-admins
 notification_interval		120
 notification_period		24x7
 notification_options		w,u,c,r
 check_command			check_imap
}

# ssh service on unix5
define service{
#Name of service template to use
 use				generic-service
 host_name			unix5
 service_description		SSH
 is_volatile			0
 check_period			24x7
 max_check_attempts		3
 normal_check_interval		3
 retry_check_interval		1
 contact_groups			unix-admins
 notification_interval		120
 notification_period		24x7
 notification_options		w,u,c,r
 check_command			check_ssh
}

when I try to verified this, I got following erro message:
# /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v nagios.cfg
Nagios 1.0b6
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 09-15-2002
Reading configuration data...
Running pre-flight check on configuration data...
Checking services...
Error: Service check command 'check_imap' specified in service 'IMAP' for
host 'law' not defined anywhere!
Error: Service check command 'check_ssh' specified in service 'SSH' for
host 'law' not defined anywhere!
	Checked 26 services.

However I did check the plugins, it is working at command line such as

# cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec/
# ./check_imap unix5....
IMAP ok - 0 second response time
#./check_ssh unix5....
SSH ok - protocol version 2.0-2.0.13  - server version

That means plugins for check_IMAP and check_SSH are ok.
It is kind of strange and why those service are not verified in the
services.cfg but others(such as check_smtp, check_pop, etc) do.

anyone has any idea. thanks.

Jihua Zhong
University of PENN, Law School.