line speed check

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Oct 8 17:45:56 CEST 2002

This has nothing to do with Nagios.

If what you're trying to ask is empirically finding out the speed between
the Nagios host and the remote host, this is one of the oldest problems
around (IMHO).  For one thing, you need to define what 'speed' is.  Is it
bits/sec?  Is it connections/sec?

It also makes me wonder what you hope to gain from this info.  If the
connection between your Nagios host and the remote host is abysmally slow,
that's not necessarily representative of how healthy the remote host is (for
serving other clients, for example).

FWIW, you can use netstat or SNMP for determining the throughput on the
interface of the remote host.  Maybe that will be somewhat informative.  You
might also want to do this for each of the routers between the Nagios host
and the remote host.

jc