Problems Running NRPE Client on an HP-UX works tation

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Oct 7 16:13:51 CEST 2002

Hi Jim,

I tried step one as a "regular" user and I encountered the error message:

EXEC FORMAT ERROR. BINARY FILE NOT EXECUTABLE.

I then switched to root user and reran the binary and I got the following:

EXECUTE PERMISSION DENIED

The permissions on the libexec directory are 755 and that also applies to
the files underneath. The owner and group owner of the directory and files
is root:sys. Your thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] [mailto:jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 5:50 PM
To: Kaplan, Andrew H.; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] Problems Running NRPE Client on an HP-UX
works tation

Looks like a permission problem to me.  However, let's take the
methodological approach.

1) Can you run the following on the command line of the client:

  /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk 80 95 /dev/vg01/lvol3

and if so, great, and if not, that's where you need to start digging.

2) Is the nrpe daemon running, either as standalone or under (x)inetd?

You might want to try to nmap tcp port 5666 (assuming that's the port you're
using) on the client, or in a pinch, "telnet 127.0.0.1 5666" from the
command line of the client, just as a sanity check.

3) Have you correctly configured the allowed_hosts directive in nrpe.cfg on
the client?  As a *minimal* configuration (IMHO) it should look like:

allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1,n.n.n.n

where n.n.n.n is the IP address of your Nagios server.

If this is set to at least 127.0.0.1, you should be able to at least do this
(on the client):

  /path/to/check_nrpe 127.0.0.1 -c check_disk1

and you should immediately get a response back.

HTH.

jc