Authentication password length

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Fri Oct 4 06:55:08 CEST 2002

Hi all,
I think that this problem is an apache problem (I couldn't find anything
about it on apache.org), but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it?

I use the htpasswd program to add a password to a username, all ok. If the
password is greater than 8 characters, it gets encoded all ok. But when you
use that username and password, only the first 8 characters of that
password are recognized/utilised by Apache!

i.e.
if password is set to: mypasswd
then using 'mypasswd' gets you access

if password is set to: mylongerpassword
then using 'mylonger' gets you access!

Is it possible for apache to recognize more than 8 characters in basic
authentication?

TIA,

Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer
Student Support and Systems
Teaching and Learning Support Systems, QUT
Kelvin Grove Campus, CRICOS No 00213J

Ph: 07 3864 8276 Fax: 07 3864 5425
Mob: 0416 001 674 SD: x6147