Please help me with nrpe and FreeBSD

Thomas Guldener tguldener at monzoon.net
Thu Nov 28 13:32:11 CET 2002

Hello Everybody

I have some problems to configurate nrpe on my freebsd. I have runnig
nagios 1.0b6 and i will do some external checks on other boxes. I have
already done the following configuration:

On the local FreeBSD box:
Checkcommands.cfg
 # 'check-nrpe' command definition
 define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
        }
Service.cfg
 define service{
        host_name                       dub00as0
        service_description             check-users
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check-users
        }

And on the other FreeBSD box:
I have installed the nrpe and the nrpe.cfg under /usr/local/etc/nrpe/
and i have installed the nagios plugins from the FreeBSD Ports. I have
open hosts.allow for my first box for all services. After I have done
the following configurations:

Nrpe.cfg
 # PORT NUMBER
 server_port=5xxx
 debug=1
 # Command  command[check_users]=/usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_users 5
10

Inetd.conf
 nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait          root
/usr/local/etc/nrpe/nrpe -i /usr/local/etc/nrpe/nrpe.cfg

Services
 nrpe            5xxx/tcp   #NRPE

When I start now Nagios I become the error message CHECK_NRPE: Received
0 bytes. Are we allowed to connect to the host?

What can I do ore wich missconfiguration i have? Please help me.

Greats
Thomas