1000+ processes then Nagios fails

Shane_Seidel at gwf.com.au Shane_Seidel at gwf.com.au
Thu Nov 28 23:14:15 CET 2002

Chris, Michael,

Thanks for your input, details below. On the subject of service checks. Could
you make a suggestion that would allow closer to 100% of service checks
completed with 15 mins?

Regards
Shane

<= 15 minutes: 467 (62.9%)
<= 1 hour: 587 (79.1%

>How did you set "inter_check_delay_method" ?
>n,d,s or a value ?
Currently set to s

>Also, check 'service_interleave_factor',

>'max_concurrent_checks' and
Now set to 600

'use_agressive_host_checking' values in nagios.cfg file
Currently set to 0

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
This email and its attachments are confidential subject to copyright and may be legally privileged. If they have come to
you in error you should take no action based upon the contents nor should you copy or show them to anyone. Please
delete the email and its attachments and inform administrators at gwf.com.au
Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of George Weston Foods
Ltd.
Security: Internet email is not a completely secure medium, please note this when considering the content of your message.
Viruses: We take precautions to ensure email is free of viruses but cannot guarantee this. Accordingly we advise
scanning all email and attachments

? ? ? ?Shane Seidel/GWFIS/GWF at GWF
cc: ? ? ? ?nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net

Subject: ? ? ? ?Re: [Nagios-users] 1000+ processes then Nagios fails

[IMAGE]
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 06:32:42PM +1000, Shane_Seidel at gwf.com.au wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have a dual P3-1200mhz 512M RAM server running Nagios 1.0 monitoring 180
> devices and 800 services.
>
> I have noticed that the number of nagios processes increase until they reach a
> count of approx 1000 at which time the server complains it is "out of memory"
> and starts shutting down services.
>
> I found that executing '/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios reload' from cron would
"solve"
> the problem. The number of processes would return to approx 60 and then start
> climb again. I have the cron job execute every 30 mins.

How did you set "inter_check_delay_method" ?
n,d,s or a value ?

Also, check 'service_interleave_factor',
'max_concurrent_checks' and 'use_agressive_host_checking' values in
nagios.cfg file

Hope this helps,

Chris

--
| ? ? GnuPG keyID == 0xF814CC3A <christian.vanguers at opsyx.com>

| Key Fingerprint == 76D7 8E94 440F E430 3981 ?D922 73E1 76DF F814 CC3A ? ? ?|