Devices with more than one address

peter riegersperger rick at subnet.at
Thu Nov 28 14:21:40 CET 2002

Jesse Reynolds wrote:
| Subhendu, I don't think this would work, because you can't specify an IP
| address  for a service. So if you have multiple IP numbers on the one
| host I think you have to set it up as multiple hosts if you want Nagios
| to monitor each IP address.

yes, you can. that's exactly what i'm doing:

first, define a host:
define host{
~        alias                           Router Local
~        address                         193.170.141.253
~        check_command                   check-host-alive
~        }

with your primary interface as address.

then, define the following in checkcommands.cfg :
define command{
~        command_name    check_interface
~        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
- -p 5
}

and then, define all other interfaces as services:

define service{
~        host_name                               router-local
~        service_description             interface .222 [arge]
~        check_command
check_interface!193.170.141.222!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
~        }

note that by "wrapping" ping into its own command, i'm able to send the
ip-number of the interface to check along.

do this for all your interfaces.

greetings,

rick

- --
|-
| peter riegersperger  <rick at subnet.at>
|-
| ein windows switcher tagebuch:
| http://forum.subnet.at/viewforum.php?f=22
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-