Devices with more than one address

Jesse Reynolds lizst at va.com.au
Thu Nov 28 12:25:33 CET 2002

Subhendu, I don't think this would work, because you can't specify an
IP address  for a service. So if you have multiple IP numbers on the
one host I think you have to set it up as multiple hosts if you want
Nagios to monitor each IP address.

It would seem sensible to me to be able to specify IP addresses for
services, OR be able to define primary interfaces of hosts and
virtual interfaces.

For example:

We have a host called dodo with IP address 10.0.0.1
dodo has a virtual interface called www1 with IP address 10.0.0.2 and
an instance of Apache web server running on it.
dodo has a second virtual interface called www2 with IP address
10.0.0.3 which has a second, separate instance of Apache web server
running on it.

We want to be able to monitor these two apache servers independently
of each other, as well as any services running on dodo's primary
interface. But if the box goes down, we want Nagios to realise that
this is the one box and only send one message about the host going
offline, not three messages (one for each interface).

Perhaps this can be implemented by setting up three hosts and then
setting up some dependencies?

Regards

Jesse

From: Subhendu Ghosh <sghosh at sg...>
Re: Devices with more than one address
2002-11-24 11:19

   On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Rafael F Suguiura wrote:

  > Hi everyone,
  > When monitoring a device with more than one address/port/interface (a
  > router) is there a way to represent the device as only one?
  > Today each interface/IP is defined as a different device.
  > Is there a way to do it???
  >   Thanks a lot.
  >   Rafael.
  > Brasilia, Brasil

Install the "closest" interface as the HOST address and all other
  interfaces as services for the same host.

  -sg