Using Sendmail with MS Exchange

Robertson, Brown brown.robertson at maac.net
Tue Nov 26 17:55:45 CET 2002

Ok, I think I have solved the problem thanks to some helpful tips from
Evan, et al. I basically have a similar setup to his network in that we
consist of 2 AD DNS Zones corresponding to an external and internal
domain namespace. I.E. (mycompany.net for external resolutions, and
mycompany.int internal namespace) Our internal DNS servers handle local
queries, but do not handle lookups from the internet. (provided by our
internet provider's DNS servers)
So here's what I did:

1)Created MX records on my internal DNS servers which pointed to my
Exchange server.
2)added the following line to my sendmail.cf:

define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.mycompany.net)

"mail.mycompany.net" has an A record pointer to the internal ip address
of the Exchange server.

So far it seems to be working! Thanks for the brainstorms.