Using Sendmail with MS Exchange

Evan Mann emann at questinc.org
Tue Nov 26 16:03:28 CET 2002

I sent this offlist but I figure I'll shoot it here as well.  It's somewhat
confusing but it's the best I can explain it.  The theory behind it should
apply to any client used to send mail.
---
Not sure how much I can help since I had someone help me setup qmail but I'm
going to assume a few things

nagios box is called "nagios"
exchange box is called "exchange"

both are joined to domain "this.domain"
your FQDN is "thisdomain.com"

by default, sendmail is going to be configured (based on what I've learned
with qmail) to send any mail to @thisdomain.com to the unix box itself.  So
you need to first figure out how to make sendmail think of itself as
something like @unix.thisdomain.com and not @thisdomain.com

This lets you separate where sendmail sends mail.  For it to go to the unix
box, it has to be specified email as someone at unix.thisdomain.com.  Anything
as someone at thisdomain.com will query DNS for MX record as to where it's
supposed to go.

Next big issue is your DNS setup.  I don't know how your DNS is setup
however.  In my case my domain name is quest.fl.com but my FQDN is
questinc.org thus I have 2 zones in Win2K AD DNS.  If yours is similar, then
the following example will apply.  This also assumes you use Win2K AD DNS
anot BIND or some other form of UNIX DNS.  Which means your
resolv.conf/conf.resolv file points to youer Win2K AD DNS server for DNS
lookup

My questinc.org zone has an MX record of highest priority that points to
mail.questinc.org and I have an A record for mail.questinc.org in
questinc.org zone which is the internal IP of my exchange server.  Without
these 2 records, when sendmail tries to send to someemail at this.domain.com