server farm question

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Nov 25 20:33:00 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm monitoring a few groups of servers and need some help getting the
configuration right. The problem is that we don't want to be paged if
one or two servers die, but do want email; however, we do want to be
paged if the whole site dies or maybe if performance drops, etc.

One group is web servers behind a SLB switch, so that seems easy -- I
assume that I'd just create a new host/service monitoring pair for the
virtual IP and make the notifications for it paging with escalations and
so forth.

The other group is proprietary-protocol servers that I'm monitoring with
check_tcp and which are balanced by an application server which dishes
out paths to them. Naturally these are the ones most likely to give
problems, too. Is there any way to escalate based on the number of group
members that have failed?

thanks,
--
Jack Coates