nagios.cmd: who else needs to CHMOD after Restarts? (Mike McLure)

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Mon Nov 25 19:29:07 CET 2002

Hi Daris,

Did you look in the FAQ?

If you can't find it, click on this link:

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=58

Basically, the user the web server runs as needs write permissions to the command
file.  Usually, you'd make that user a member of a group with write permissions.

- Mike

> Mike:
>
> The problem you see is that you cannot issue commands to nagios from the web
> interface (you get "there was an error processing your command. Go back from
> whence you came."). I am guessing but any writes to cgi.cmd from cmd.cgi are
> failing permissions. Is this an issue with the user/group I compiled with?
> Does the nagiosadmin user have to be a member of the nagios group locally?
> We are using "nagios" as the compiled user and "nagiosadmin" as the cgi
> user.
>
> I realize we opened that file up to everyone but it was the quick fix while
> we tried to figure out what the issue really was/is.
>
> - Daris
>
>> What are the symptoms of this issue you are talking about?
>>
>> Why would you want any user on the system to be able to write to that pipe
> and
>> therefore issue commands?  That's what the permissions you are setting
> there allow.
>>
>> - Mike

Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com
mmcclure at pneservices.com
mobile: 913-636-5590