memory usage

Russell Scibetti russell at quadrix.com
Wed Nov 20 23:51:20 CET 2002

I had a similar issue that I just solved.  Try reducing the
service_reaper_frequency.  It detemines how often the parent nagios
daemon collects the results of all the plugins.  If you have that many
plugins at small interval, you could be writing too much for the pipe to
handle.  Change the default service_reaper_frequency from 10 to 5 for
started.  The daemon will reap the plugins' output more often, which
should free up memory.

-Russell

Jeremy Hanmer wrote:

>I'm having  an incredibly hard time tuning nagios to monitor all our our
>services without using up all of it's 2 gigs of RAM within a couple of
>hours.
>
>There are approximately 4000 services being watched with a check
>interval of between 5 and 15 minutes.  Out of these, about 1200 are
>being passively submitted.  nagios -s tells me I should be running
>approximately 86 max concurrent processes.  While the other machine
>cruises along with 200, this machine ends up running out of memory
>within 2-3 hours regardless of whether I set the max procs to 100 or 400
>(anything less, and the latency is horrible).
>
>I currently have a dual PIII 800 with 1 gig running netsaint 0.0.6
>monitoring the exact number of services, but this dual 1ghz machine with
>twice the RAM can't keep up.  It's using mysql for all of the data.
>
>Does anybody have any idea?

Russell Scibetti
Quadrix Solutions, Inc.
http://www.quadrix.com