host check through 2 isps simultaneously

Atul Gosain atul at mindsw.com
Tue Nov 19 06:17:11 CET 2002

Yes , I have allready made a script that takes 2 ip addresses and then
returns status based on the status of checks through both addresses. But
when i tried to give the arguements from check_comand in host definition
(check_multiple_ips!192.168.1.100,192.168.1.2), it gave errors and
nagios did not start. Only after i put the arguements in checkcomand
definition of that command ,it worked.
Cant we give arguements from the checkcommand in host definition whereas
we can give them in service definitions.

Ethan Galstad wrote:

>Actually, Nagios doesn't care what kind of address you specify for
>the host.  Nagios simply treats it as a string and passes it off the
>plugins for their use.  There's nothing stopping anyone from putting
>a MAC address in that field, multiple IP addresses, GPS coordinates,
>or text directions on where to find the server. :-)
>
>You could set the address field to be "192.168.1.2,192.168.0.5" to
>indicate that the host had two IPs.  Your host check command (and
>service plugins) would then have to properly parse the address field
>to pick out the individual addresses to be checked.
>

>On 17 Nov 2002 at 23:14, Sean Knox wrote:
>
>>Currently, you can only define (1) IP address per host definition. To
>>sastify your situation, you can define two hosts with the two IPs you
>>want to monitor (one for each ISP). Then define host and service
>>dependencies for each host and ping service to be dependent on the
>>corresponding IP address/host.
>>
>>Sean
>>
>>Atul Gosain wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have the network of my company thats connected through two isp's. I
>>>m monitoring an online server which has three  public ip addresses.
>>>Now, till presently, i had 2 services of ping to check that
>>>(check_ping_isp1 & check_ping_isp2) and routing was defined for them
>>>ie. check_ping_isp1 uses one ip address which uses isp1 to check that
>>>host and other service uses isp2 to check that host. But the check
>>>command for the host can only monitor it through one isp only at a time.
>>>Because of this the host is shown down if that isp has a problem
>>>(through which host check is being done).
>>>Can this be done, that the host is declared as down only when both
>>>ping services are down or host can be checked through both interfaces
>>>and declared as down only when both isps are down.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Atul.

>Ethan Galstad,
>Nagios Developer