Survey of Nagios.

Scott lists.scott at themagicbox.net
Sat Nov 16 10:04:20 CET 2002

I think you could just check the pid file for a number and run it against
a ps -ax greping the pid, then notify if it doesnt exist.. sounds fairly
simple and probably a good idea too... Nothing worse then a network outage
to find out that nagios isnt monitoring the network anyway...

#!/usr/bin/perl

open PIDFILE, ("/path/to/nagios/var/nagios.lock");
$pid = <PIDFILE>;
close PIDFILE;

@nag_stat = `ps -ax |grep -e $pid`;

if (!@nag_stat[0]) {
        print "nagios running\n";
} else {
        system('printf "Nagios not running: replace this with external
command\n
"');
}

Somthing like this from cron would work nicely for that.. crude, yes,
works, yes also.. somebody probably has better perl skills than myself
that could ake this better but it would do what you are asking for though.