Yet another ping problem

Kenton Smith ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com
Fri Nov 15 21:34:59 CET 2002

I can't believe I have to write to the mailing list about a ping
problem. I looked everywhere though and can't find anything similar to
what is happening to me.
I'm running RH8 with Nagios 1.0b6 and installed from the RPM's.
Everything works fine including plugins except for ping. I think it's a
permissions problem because when I ping as any user other than root I
get this message - ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted.
If I run -
./check_ping -H 192.168.1.1 -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1
I get this error -
/bin/ping -n -U -c 1 192.168.1.1
Error: Could not interpret output from ping command

I assume the "could not interpret" error comes from the fact that it's
being passed the previous error. I've also tried this with older
versions of ping (RH7.2), which is the way I had it setup on my 7.3 box.
I can't for the life of me get ping to work as another user other than
root. I even went so far as to change permissions and ownership to
nagios and got the same error.

Any advice?

Kenton Smith