text pagers / 2-way responses too

Brandon Knitter knitterb at blandsite.org
Thu Nov 14 22:33:49 CET 2002

I know that sometimes email is your only option, but...

Email is by far the absolute WORST way to get your monitoring alerts.  Even
when your network and internet connectivity is up.  The smtp protocol in
general states that there is no guaranteed delivery time (there are typically
warning responses at 24 hours, and complete failure at 72 hours), as well many
email gateways (your paging provider's) will queue up messages based upon load
and other rules.  There is no guarantee that you will get your message today
even!  I frequently used to get a "GOOD" page before a "BAD" one when using
email, and sometimes only a "GOOD" one since the "BAD" email got lost somewhere.

With that said, TAP is a great way to send things (qpage, sendpage, etc.).  But
you do lose some features, although it's a great backup.  If you can cascade
things, start by sending a page to your provider's delivery gateway.  Many
paging companies provide an SNPP or WCTP gateway which allows you to "drop off"
a message on their server directly, and you will get the page sooner than
email...that's just about what their email gateways do...when the email gateway
actually gets the message.

In the case of 2 way pagers, I have written scripts that will drop off a
message on a WCTP gateway and save off the message identifier.  Then, every 5
minutes I check and see if any of those messages have had a response from the
pager (that expires after 60 minutes).  When my pager gets the message
(typically within 15-20 seconds of Nagios sending the alert) I have a list of
canned response options I add to the message (ack, dis 30, dis nagios, etc.).
I choose my response, then when the response is picked up by my server it does
the appropriate action on Nagios.  Very handy when you can't get to a terminal
and are at the colo and want to quiet an alarm.

If you want to try out the scripts, check out the project I started at SF:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/wctpxml-perl

For now just grab it from CVS (tests project) I'll make a distro and write up a
quickie README file for how it works, and an INSTALL for how to make it work! :)

I'd be curious if that script is helpful for anyone.  I mean come on, let's use
the second direction in our two-way pagers! :)

--
-bk