VMS monitoring

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Nov 13 19:36:09 CET 2002

Ironic that this topic came up today. We also have a VMS cluster that's
a legacy system that we wanted to do some increased monitoring on. The
solution we came up with and are implementing today, while not elegant,
is certainly functional. We have created an expect script that telnets
into the box, issues the commands we need and dumps that to a text file
on the nagios box. This runs out of cron. We then have a local plugin
that parses the text file and flags appropriately.

I would much preferred to go with SNMP monitoring but the items we were
specifically wanting to monitor are not available via the Multinet TCP
stack's SNMP (PMDF queue lengths, free disk space, etc).

I am interested in seeing what if anything comes out of this thread.

--
Marc

VMS