service definitions

Scott lists.scott at themagicbox.net
Wed Nov 13 04:05:31 CET 2002

Gerald Wichmann said:
> When specifying service definitions can you put multiple hostnames under
> "host_name" field if all those hosts have the same service definition?
> Or do you have to create one for each host?

Yes you can, I actually have a ping service set up with a * to enable all
hosts without adding any services to them from the beginning, this check
is done like this

define service{
        host_name                       *
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            3
        contact_groups                  system-admins
        notification_interval           30
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            none
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        }

but a list of comma seperated hostnames works just as well