AW: Strange state "UNKNOWN"

Schindewolf, Stefan, Infraserv-Hoechst/DE Stefan.Schindewolf at Infraserv.com
Tue Nov 12 09:52:33 CET 2002

Hi.

The idea of compiling once and rolling out sounds good.
I think i have spent enough time with the ssh-problem.

Thanks for your advice.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] [mailto:jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 11. November 2002 18:41
An: 'Schindewolf, Stefan, Infraserv-Hoechst/DE';
'nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Betreff: RE: [Nagios-users] Strange state "UNKNOWN"

I urge you to reconsider using NRPE, for 2 reasons:

1) Anything involving SSH will not scale well.  As the number of checks
grows, the ssh-based checks will start to impact your Nagios server.

2) When you say 40 hosts, are each and every one of them running a different
(version) of operating system?  If not, you should be able to compile once,
then install a tarball on each host.  As for the config file, I suggest you
edit a master nrpe.cfg file on one host, and as your requirements on the
clients change, you edit the master and push it out to all hosts.  This is
my approach, and it's working great.

jc