BUG(ish):: Change the scheduled downtime page?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Nov 11 19:06:46 CET 2002

>From the Schedule Downtime page:

[quote]
This command is used to schedule downtime for a particular host. During the
specified downtime, Nagios will not send notifications out about the host.
When the scheduled downtime expires, Nagios will send out notifications for
this host as it normally would. Scheduled downtimes are preserved across
program shutdowns and restarts. Both the start and end times should be
specified in the following format: mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss. If you select the
fixed option, the downtime will be in effect between the start and end times
you specify. If you do not select the fixed option, Nagios will treat this
as "flexible" downtime. Flexible downtime starts when the host goes down or
becomes unreachable (sometime between the start and end times you specified)
and lasts as long as the duration of time you enter. The duration fields do
not apply for fixed dowtime.
[end quote]

In particular, take note of that last sentence.  Or rather, your co-workers
need to take note of that sentence.

As for it being non-intuitive, I'm not sure I agree.  Awkward, perhaps, but
not non-intuitive.  When I first started playing with this feature, I had to
read the fine print a couple times.

Who's to say that I don't want the start window to be 2 hours but the actual
downtime to be 4 hours (non-fixed)?  If for some reason my host isn't
brought down during the initial 2 hours, maybe I don't want it to slip too
far...?

Using your suggestion, then you have a 4 hour window to start the task, and
if you start it at the last minute, you have another 4 hours with which to
complete the task.  Is it asking too much to keep a 4 hour task more or less
within the original target of 4 hours?  Having a 2 hour 'fudge factor'
(sysadmins gathering around, discussing what the plan of attack is, grabbing
a spare disk, or whatever) should be much more than enough time, IMHO.

If there were to be any enhancement to this page, I would opt to have
pull-down menus for the start/end times, down to the minute (the seconds
field should always be '00', since I don't think many of us need to concern
ourselves with sub-minute granularity when it comes to scheduling
downtime... but that's just me).  This would minimize the possibility of
'fat fingering' the schedule.  If it were smart enough, it would also not
permit one to select an end time which preceeds the start time, but that
might require some Javascripting.  *shrug*

If your co-worker is confused on how it works and you are not, perhaps you
should school him in the ways of Nagios.  ;)

jc