Hosts that report down but aren't

Rico Gloeckner rico at noris.net
Fri Nov 8 09:20:41 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 04:54:39PM -0600, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
> 1) Decide which of the services will be *the* key service to qualify as
> "this host is up" or "this host is down".  Since ping isn't an option, I
> would lean towards the check_ssh check.

I wouldnt let any other Check define if a Host is up or down, let
alone Availability of ssh.

I usually (if check_host_alive is no option) simply use /bin/true for
the Hostcheck - Nagios simply sees the Host as always up and i
will find any Service checked.

One might write a check_raw Plugin which uses various tricks to find out
if a Host is up, i.e. (for UDP) sending a Packet and expecting
ICMP_PORT_UNREACH within 5 seconds. That would most probably requiring
the Binary setuid root.

What do others think?

	-rico