TempTrax history

jmarquart at planalytics.com jmarquart at planalytics.com
Wed Nov 6 19:38:11 CET 2002

i have done it w/ mrtg.

this is probably not the most elegant, but was simple for me.  (I actually do
graphs of most services in a similar fashion)

define service{
     use generic
     host_name    HOST
     service_description DATACENTER temp
     check_command  check_temptrax!75!80
}

define command{
     command_name check_temptrax
     command_line   $USER1$/check_temptrax -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$  -f 1 -S 1
     }

this provides my lines in the status.log that I can parse using the following
mrtg.conf:

Target[datacenter_temp]: `grep ";HOST;DATACENTER temp;" /path/to/status.log |
awk -F= '{print $2}' | awk '{print $1"\n0\n\n";}'`
Title[datacenter_temp]: Datacenter Temp
MaxBytes[datacenter_temp]: 100
PageTop[datacenter_temp]: <h1> Datacenter Temp</h1>
YLegend[datacenter_temp]: Deg. F
LegendI[datacenter_temp]: Deg. F
ShortLegend[datacenter_temp]:
Options[datacenter_temp]: gauge,nopercent,noo

then i add a crontab entry to do "mrtg datacenter_mrtf.conf" every5 minutes.

works for me fairly well.

given the lack of performance data in the plugins when i started this, I ended
up creating (some very ugly, but effective) scripts to generate mrtg.confs able
to create graphs for the services i was most intersted in.

-john

Celeste Hilliard <celeste at startech.org> on 11/06/2002 12:41:58 PM