Hosts with multiple ip addresses

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Nov 6 16:18:20 CET 2002

My $0.02:

It depends on whether you're trying to determine a) "Can I get to this
host?" or b) "Is every service on every IP address that I want to be up,
up?"

In the former scenario, you can skip defining the IP address in your host
definition, and use DNS instead.  In DNS, you would define multiple A
records for the one hostname.  Given that you need to concern yourself with
essentially 4 services (www, ftp, ssh, rsync), you may wish to create
hostnames such as gandalf-www, gandalf-ftp, and so on.

In the latter scenario, you could 1) use DNS, but define unique hostnames
for each IP address, or 2) use unique host definitions within hosts.cfg.
E.g., for hostname gandalf, you would have host definitions of gandalf-1,
gandalf-2, gandalf-3, etc.

(I'm willing to bet that you're leaning towards the 2nd scenario.  Having
said that, where the 1st scenario works well, is if you opt to use NRPE.
You don't need to check for the system load average on all 8 interfaces of
the same host; 1 interface will suffice.)

In any event, I would endeavour to leverage the alias declaration in
hosts.cfg.  E.g., "gandalf www1", "gandalf ftp3", "gandalf maint1".  Quite
handy when you get that pager message at 3am.

Food for thought.

jc