concurrent service check

Alistair Hopkins alistair at berthengron.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 18:10:39 CET 2002

For your info -

Is this on Linux?

I have been workiong on using Nagios to check about 2k remote (dial
up-pable) hosts and can report that

a/ It kind of works
b/ It's not easy

The problem is with parallelisation - you need to be careful you don't end
up connected to the wrong box while doing your check - and the fact that
ISDN4Linux isdnctrl returns asynchronously when you dial manually, then
dithers around for an indeterminate period before deciding whether it is
connected or not.  During this period, the status command reports that it is
connected, so it's really hard to find out when to start checking.  Then, as
soon as you stop parallel checks (which you have to) your check latency goes
through the roof.

So, I recommend using passive rather than active checks for this, as they
can execute serially in their own script without putting a whole flock of
checks onto the main thread of nagios. You could even (next step) get Nagios
to run the external check thing by monitoring it and then calling it with an
event handler when it's missing!

Al

---