Invalid Object definition

Jon Lyons jlyons30 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 21:15:28 CET 2002

Here's an example from my hostextinfo.cfg, maybe you're missing a "}" somewhere..Are you sure nagios is saying there's an error in the hostextinfo.cfg file? I believe this file is only read/checked when you attempt to access the cgi's not when nagios starts. You should have;

xedtemplate_config_file=/usr/local/etc/nagios/hostextinfo.cfg xedtemplate_config_file=/usr/local/etc/nagios/serviceextinfo.cfg

in you cgi.cfg file and no other hostdefintions.

>and in hostextinfo.cfg I use templates since I have lots of devices...
define hostextinfo{
        name baystack450
        icon_image              baystack450.jpg
        icon_image_alt          Bay Stack 450
        notes_url               http://www.ebay.com
        vrml_image              baystack450.jpg
        statusmap_image         baystack450.jpg
        gd2_image               baystack450.jpg
        register                0                       ;  DO NOT REGISTER THIS
        }
define hostextinfo{
        use baystack450
        host_name              1b6-n-qnetsw01
        2d_coords               0,150                   ; 2-D drawing coordinate
        3d_coords               20.0,7.0,0.0           ; 3-D drawing coordinates
        }

 Dave Hickman <dhickman at microage-sj.nf.ca> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with the hostextinfo.cfg definitions. Everytime I try to start Nagios I get a message about an invalid object definition in this file, corresponding to the line which reads "define hostextinfo{ ........"

I assumed it was because I did not compile with the --with-template-extinfo argument, so, I removed the entire directory structure, and ran through the complete installation again, specifying the argument for extended info. After running ./configure, it shows me that it will use template-based extended info, however I still get the same message about an invalid object definition when I attempt to run Nagios.

Any ideas?

Dave.

Dave Hickman, CNE, MCSE, CCNA, ASE
Network Consultant