ePN and memory leaks

atonns at mail.ivillage.com atonns at mail.ivillage.com
Tue Dec 31 02:15:54 CET 2002

I'm using two instances of embedded perl nagios (ie: --enable-embedded-perl
--with-perlcache) v1.0b6 on Solaris 7 to monitor the production and
development networks. They both use MySQL for all data (ie:
--with-mysql-xdata)

The production network has 34 hosts and 429 services.
The development network has 28 hosts and 211 services.

On both networks I've seen the nagios process creep from using 6MB of RAM to
over 64MB of RAM over about a week's time. The custom perl scripts that
perform service checks using Net::SNMP and SNMPv3 work well - they pass 'use
strict' without problems and run sucessfully from mini_epn. One minor
problem with mini_epn is that because my code properly calls
alarm($TIMEOUT), mini_epn never hangs around very long.

Are there any suggestions for finding memory leaks in ePN? (I'm going to be
looking at Apache::Leak and Devel::Leak, but there might be other debug
options in nagios I'm not aware of).

Thanks in advance...
--
"Computer science is as much about computers as
        astronomy is about telescopes" -- Edsger Dijkstra
Anthony Tonns, UNIX Administrator - atonns at mail.ivillage.com