NRPE enhancement

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Dec 27 19:20:17 CET 2002

I think it's a good idea, but with the following provisions:

- This should not be enabled by default.

- The configure script, the Makefile and any/all NRPE docs should explicitly
state the security risks in forcing the non-default (added feature)
behaviour.

- If the daemon is compiled with this option, anytime the daemon starts, it
should briefly mention that it has been compiled for this behaviour, and a
quick remark about the increased risks.  (Sent to stderr if standalone, else
sent to syslog if running under (x)inetd).  It should scream loud and clear
if it's started under root; preferably it would simply not run as root, full
stop.

- Perhaps a reference to implementing NRPE with stunnel (and only permitting
connections from localhost, as defined in nrpe.cfg) would be desireable.

I'm not a security guru, but it seems to me that facilitating this feature
would open oneself up to a buffer overflow attack.  If you're on a trusted
network, it's a non-issue.

On a related note, I'd be much more comfy with this feature if there were a
facility to enforce some level of native encryption, such as what NSCA uses.
If you don't have the keys to the house, you get dropped on the floor.  (I
have a similar wish for NSClient.)

Food for thought.

jc