tweaking latency

Jasmine Chua jasmine.chua at securecirt.com
Tue Dec 24 06:45:52 CET 2002

Merry X'Mas

Hi all,

This is really urgent! I am just wondering how can I lower the latency on my
central monitoring server. Its currently
Check Execution Time:   < 1 sec / 90 sec / 1.657 sec
Check Latency:             651 sec / 1675 sec / 1221.329 sec
Percent State Change:    0.00% /  12.11% / 0.28%
Below is the service scheduling information of my central monitoring server
Nagios.

max_concurrent_checks=300
service_reaper_frequency=5

 SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
        -------------------------------
        Total services:             578
        Total hosts:                161

        Command check interval:     -1 sec
        Check reaper interval:      5 sec

        Inter-check delay method:   SMART
        Average check interval:     299.585 sec
        Inter-check delay:          0.518 sec

        Interleave factor method:   SMART
        Average services per host:  3.590
        Service interleave factor:  4

        Initial service check scheduling info:
        --------------------------------------
        First scheduled check:      1040707565 -> Tue Dec 24 13:26:05 2002
        Last scheduled check:       1040707865 -> Tue Dec 24 13:31:05 2002

        Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value:
        Absolute minimum value:     10
        Recommend value:            30

Below is the service scheduling information of the distributed monitoring
server that causes the high latency when put into the central server for
monitoring. When I checked the log files I realised that certain remote hosts
monitored by the distributed server are causing the latency but the strange
thing is that their service and host status are in ok state. And, the rest of
the remote hosts with ok state does not add onto the latency. Anyone have any
idea why these remote hosts are causing latency when their services are ok?

max_concurrent_checks=200
service_reaper_frequency=5

SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
        -------------------------------
        Total services:             437
        Total hosts:                142

        Command check interval:     -1 sec
        Check reaper interval:      5 sec

        Inter-check delay method:   SMART
        Average check interval:     300.000 sec
        Inter-check delay:          0.686 sec

        Interleave factor method:   SMART
        Average services per host:  3.077
        Service interleave factor:  4

        Initial service check scheduling info:
        First scheduled check:      1040707901 -> Tue Dec 24 05:31:41 2002
        Last scheduled check:       1040708202 -> Tue Dec 24 05:36:42 2002

        Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value:
        Absolute minimum value:     8
        Recommend value:            24

- -- Thanks!

Jasmine Chua
Security Engineer, SecureCiRT (A SBU of Z-Vance Pte Ltd)
http://www.securecirt.com