Host / Service notification logic

Paul Williams Williamsp at ci.boulder.co.us
Mon Dec 16 17:14:48 CET 2002

If Nagios finds the host itself to be down, it won't notify that each of
the associated services are down.  So if you're check_host command in
the host definition (check-host-alive) fails, you'll get just the one
notification.

Paul

>>> "Matthieu Parisot" <mat at avedya.com> 12/16/02 09:04AM >>>
Hi list!
I'm doing something to monitor my switches, and I would like to be
sure
it's not too stupid:
I consider my switch as an host, and every ports as a service;
The switch is monitored by check_host_alive, and the ports are
monitored
with check_snmp;
Will I be notified only once if the check_host_alive fails, or 25
times
(1 for the host,
and 24 others for all ports which will fail) ?
My first thought was that I will be notified only once, but after
digging into the doc, I'm more
thinking about 25. The solution seems to be to add dependencies, but i
can't see how to setup it;
Could someone explain me how to do that, and if considering a switch
port as service is useless?
Thanks,

Matthieu