Compile problems with version 1.0

Fri Dec 13 00:39:50 CET 2002

Dear Sir,

What platform are you running on ?

Please try and compile the plugins. They also require the signal named
SIGALRM. If they build, it means that you have SIGALRM but the configure
script in Nagios is not finding it.

SIGALRM should be a part of every POSIX (Linux, Sol, FreeBSD,..) system.

On this systemm (FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE), SIGALRM is in /usr/include/sys/.

(pc09011> grep -i -2  SIGALR /usr/include/sys/signal.h
#endif
#define SIGPIPE         13      /* write on a pipe with no one to read
it */
#define SIGALRM         14      /* alarm clock */
#define SIGTERM         15      /* software termination signal from kill
*/
#ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE
).

Perhaps it might be necessary for you to find where SIGALRM is (eg grep
-l /usr/include ALRM) and add the necessary path with an -I switch to
the Makefile CFLAGS.

(CFLAGS=-g -O2 -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach/CORE  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H).

In any case, it sounds either like a Nagios portability problem or a
problem with your system.

Does Nag build on other systems you have access to.

If this works

tsitc> perl -e '$SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "Ring Ring" }; eval { alarm(1);
while (1) {} }; print "Perl is alarmed\n" if $@ =~ /Ring/'
Perl is alarmed
tsitc>

then SIGALRM is definitely on your system and Perl at least can find it.

HTH,

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.