Filter HTML on list!?

Thu Dec 12 11:32:45 CET 2002

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

> I would like to add the following (sometimes entertaining) document:
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .

I think Mr Raymonds comments are a bit over the top and not as positive
as they could be.

If one asks a question

'like a person with smarts, confidence, and clues who just happens to
need help on one particular problem.'

then one __becomes__ that sort of person.

Lists that expect a minimum standard of care and thoughtfulness in
asking become more useful, stimulating and attractive.

It does not help answering the same question over and over again: not
the answerer or the questioner. It is not a matter of rudeness or
cleverness; only efficiency and a willingness to encourage
participation, learning and action from everyone.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.