Filter HTML on list!?

Wed Dec 11 23:49:50 CET 2002

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter about this matter.

Perhaps another way of looking at this is that __no one__ who
bothers to respond to this list is likely to profit from the answer
directly.

People attempt to answer questions for their own reasons, and using
whatever resources (especially time) they have available.

In my case, I am simply not going to even read letters that are

. in HTML

. don't wrap sensibly, so the right margin is a hundred miles to the
away from the left.

It is painful to scan these very long lines. As painful as looking for
the logical breaks of thought in a paragraph lacking punctuation.

. are hard for me to understand, possibly because the writer is doing
their best with a non native language.

Obviously, I will be more tolerant in such cases but the fact remains
that if I can't understand the question, I have no chance of answering
it.

The document published by Greg Lehey at

http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

contains suggestions for writers to increase the likelihood of getting
positive results to questions.

Although it's targetted at those wishing to write to FreeBSD-Questions,
I think the advice is generally applicable,

So to sum up, my view is that there is no need to get excited about
badly written letters. Such letters are less likely to be answered and
the writers will seek other means of obtaining what they want.

</rant>

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.