Problem staring nagios

Tue Dec 10 05:37:29 CET 2002

Dear Sir,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:57:40AM +1000, Gawain Osborne wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have done a standard install of nagios-1.0 and i get the following when trying to start the service:
>
> [1039484421] Nagios 1.0 starting... (PID=15762)
> [1039484421] Finished daemonizing... (New PID=15763)
> [1039484421] Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...
>
> then I tried to verify my setup and got this:
>
> [cricket at pa-linux-01 var]$ /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
> Segmentation fault

Did you get a core file (nagios.core in the directory you ran ... -v
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg ?

If so, please cd into the Nagios build directory ../nagios-1.0/base
and then post the result of

(Or do this with the usual Nagios path)

gdb -c /path/to/core_file nagios
set args -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
bt
quit

You should see something like

tsitc> gdb nagios
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
are
conditions.
details.

(gdb) set args  -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/home/anwsmh/build/nagios-1.0/base/nagios -v
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

Nagios 1.0
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 11-24-2002
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Cannot open resource file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg'
for reading!
Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
        Checked 329 services.
Checking hosts...
        Checked 189 hosts.
Checking host groups...
        Checked 13 host groups.
Checking contacts...
        Checked 39 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
        Checked 14 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
        Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking host group escalations...
        Checked 0 host group escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
        Checked 30 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
        Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
        Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
        Checked 87 commands.
Checking time periods...
        Checked 12 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular service execution dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive service processor command...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   0

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check

Program exited normally.
(gdb) q
tsitc>

except yours will probably report the SEGV.

If you did not get a core file then leave out the -c switch from gdb

(eg gdb /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios
set args ..
bt
q)