Distributed SNMP monitoring.

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herff-jones.com
Sun Dec 8 10:46:06 CET 2002

Well, actually, if by "fully integrated" you mean "as integrated as anyone
could ever want", then no, it's not fully integrated. :-)  No offense - it
looks like a very nice contribution - but I for one would greatly prefer not
to have to spawn off rrdtool to open and close its files again every time
nagios wants to save data.  It'd be nice if whatever performance archiving
mechanism gets focused on is one where the long-running nagios process
communicates directly with a long-running, all files held open rrdtool
process or a database.

It looks like (ok, have I given away the fact yet that I haven't actually
set up apan yet? ;-) ) APAN works by getting called every time you call a
command you want to record performance info for, then returning the result
to Nagios and kicking off an rrdtool process to archive it.  Although the
apan and rrdtool executables will probably be in OS read cache, that's still
a lot of additional overhead.

Comments intended constructively, corrections appreciated...

-t.