nagios map layout

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Dec 6 22:56:57 CET 2002

I can't speak to that specific screenshot, but I've got similar results.  I
managed to do it with the 'parents' directive in the hosts.cfg file.

If you've got a complex network, with various subnets/routers (or pingable
switches/hubs, for example), you can implement 'parents' and enjoy letting
Nagios dynamically create a hierarchical image.

If you've got a flat network, I think you're out of luck.

Check out the following link:

http://your_nagios_server/nagios/docs/xodtemplate.html#host

In particular, read up on the 'parents' directive:

"This directive is used to define a comma-delimited list of short names of
the "parent" hosts for this particular host. Parent hosts are typically
routers, switches, firewalls, etc. that lie between the monitoring host and
a remote hosts. A router, switch, etc. which is closest to the remote host
is considered to be that host's "parent". Read the "Determining Status and
Reachability of Network Hosts" document located here for more information.
If this host is on the same network segment as the host doing the monitoring
(without any intermediate routers, etc.) the host is considered to be on the
local network and will not have a parent host. Leave this value blank if the
host does not have a parent host (i.e. it is on the same segment as the
Nagios host). The order in which you specify parent hosts has no effect on
how things are monitored."

HTH.

jc