Per user preferences

listuser at neo.pittstate.edu listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Fri Dec 6 20:24:17 CET 2002

Is there a way to specify different preferences on a user by user basis?
While I don't mind audio alerts, I'm sure some of my colleagues might not
find them so helpful. :)  To go along with this, I think some people
prefer the maps to default to a different view as well.  Perhaps this is
something that could be added to the user's contact definition?

Along these same lines, would it be posible to use cookies to control how
often a sound is played?  I generally keep my browser on the tactical
overview and don't really want to know that the print server in a far off
building is still down. :)  Perhaps a checkbox (to turn audio alerts off
for that session) and/or a drop down menu and submit button to specify
audio alert intervals would help.  My PacketShaper's online pages that
update at regular intervals let me specify the intervals just such a
setup.  I can tell it to update every 1, 5, 15, and 60 minutes.  120 and
240 would be useful for audio alerts though I imagine.

To go along with the user-defined audio intervals, I think many would find
it useful to control how often their pages reload.  A similar deal could
be used for it as well.  The status.cgi could reference that value (within
limits) for it's META refresh value.

Does anyone else think per-user settings would be useful?  I turned on
audio alerts today and the idea quickly popped into my head. ;-)

Justin