Migrating from single monitoring server to distributed monitoring server

Andrew Kemp andrew_kemp at pacific.net.au
Fri Dec 6 05:24:08 CET 2002

Gidday,

We have a situation where a department has been running Netsaint
in a stand alone environment to monitor their hosts and services.

My department runs a distributed environment to monitor the enterprise
wide hosts and services.

We are in the position where we wish to integrate the other departments
monitoring into the distributed environment. If I was to just add the
hosts to the distributed environment as new entries, this would be very
easy. However, there is a requirement to keep the Netsaint host (soon to
be Nagios) and make it another distributed node in the monitoring
environment. Also, I need to keep the historical data for the
hosts/services
that this host monitors (a couple of months).

Can I simply do:

cat nagios.log nagios2.log | sort > new-nagios.log  (where nagios2.log
is
the log from the other host) to keep the information ?

I will then iterate through all relevant log files to migrate the
historical
information across.

Thanks.

Andrew