Return code of 137 is out of bounds

David Moon dmoon at wrhambrecht.com
Thu Dec 5 22:34:24 CET 2002

Hello, I was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right
direction here...

Problem: In my status information for http, https and cert services, I get
the following: "(Return code of 137 is out of bounds) "
Everything else seems to work fine, with the exception of http related
commands. SMTP, SSH and other services/commands work fine. This is an
upgrade from Netsaint, and all was working fine under netsaint.

When I test the various http commands manually, they seem to work fine. I
thought there might have been minor issues with the syntax in the old vs.
new versions, but the commands seem ok (after converting to new template
style). The problem seems to lie in the manner that Nagios calls the
commands from within the app.

Using "check_http" for "host1" as an example, here are the various elements
in Nagios:

from commands.cfg:

	# 'check_http' command definition
	define command{
	        command_name    check_http
	        command_line    /apps/nagios/libexec/check_http -I
$HOSTADDRESS$ -H $ARG1$ -u $ARG2$
	        }

from services.cfg:

	# Service definition
	define service{
	        use                             generic-service         ;
Name of service template to use

	        host_name                       host1
	        service_description             HTTP
	        is_volatile                     0
	        check_period                    all
	        max_check_attempts              3
	        normal_check_interval           5
	        retry_check_interval            1
	        contact_groups                  noc
	        notification_interval           60
	        notification_period             market
	        notification_options            w,u,c,r
	        check_command
check_http!www.abc.com!/in/index.html
	        }

The command "check_http!www.abc.com!/in/index.html" works fine on Netsaint.
The only difference is that the syntax of the various objects and commands
has been converted to the new Nagios template style.

I also added this line to startup script /etc/rc3.d/S98nagios:

	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/apps/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
	TZ=US/Pacific
	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH TZ

Any clue what I am missing?? I'm "RTFM-ing" as much as possible, and still
not clear on why the error.... :-)

- David

IMPORTANT NOTICES:
This message is intended only for the addressee. Please notify the sender
by email if you are not the intended recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose, or distribute this
message or its content to any other person and any such actions may be
unlawful.  Electronic mail sent through the Internet is not secure.
WR Hambrecht + Co (WRH+Co) does not accept time sensitive, action-oriented
messages or transaction orders, including orders to purchase or sell
securities, via email.

WRH+Co reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages
sent to or from this email address. Messages sent to or from this email
address may be stored on the WRH+Co email system.